Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Mass and Newton's 1st Law


1st example that show the correlation between inertia and Newton’s 1st Law is say if you have two toy cars. One is big and the other is small. If you were to put them on a balance and see which one weighs more, it could possibly be the smaller one that weighs more. The big one may seem like it weighs more but it probably doesn't have a lot of mass inside of it. On the other hand, the smaller one might have more mass. It shows inertia because they can either remain at rest or start moving at some point.

2nd example is say I'm playing soccer and I'm kicking the soccer ball around. If I'm not kicking the ball, it remains still. But if I give the ball a little kick, it gets the little force it needs to start moving. Once I have kicked the ball, it stays in front of me unless I kick it in another direction. Once I kick the ball as far as I can, it continues moving in the same direction and same speed. The mass of the soccer ball doesn't affect how the ball behaves because the ball is round.


3rd example is say I'm riding a bike in the park. And I'm traveling at a constant speed -not to fast and not to slow-. Then out of nowhere a little boy runs in front of me and I have to push on the brakes. The friction from where I applied the force to make the bike stop touched the front wheel. That is an example of inertia because one moment I remained in motion and then the next I remained at rest until the little boy started walking the other way.

1 comment: